ASMR’s Annual National Scientific Conference (NSC) is held in November of every year. The meeting invites abstracts from all disciplines of health and medical research.
Elements of the NSC include –
- The AWT Edwards Oration – Tony Edwards was a director of ASMR from 1962-66. He died on Friday, 9th of December 1966 a week after becoming President of ASMR. Established in 1968 the Oration is awarded to a eminent Australian scientist or champion of health and medical research.
- The prestigious Campion-Ma-Playoust Memorial Award, initiated in 1976 is given for the best presentation of any type by an ASMR member under the age of thirty (30) or a full time student of any age. Marc Playoust was President of ASMR in 1967. He was tragically killed in a road accident after the 1972 National Scientific Conference held in Adelaide. Marc made a vital contribution to ASMR as one of the principle forces behind the structuring of the constitution and the financial viability of the Society. The Playoust Award was instituted at the NSC in Surfers Paradise in 1973. At that meeting, Claire Campion and Marcus Ma were victims of a tragic drowning accident. Clair was a young investigator and candidate for the Playoust Award, Marcus was Honorary Secretary of the Society. Both young people were well known and respected. The Award became the Campion Ma Playoust Award shortly thereafter.
- The Firkin Oration – established in 1993 and named in honour of Professor Barry Firkin, the first President of the Society. The Oration is awarded to an eminent international scientist.
- The Annual General Meeting of the Society is held at the Conference.
- ASMR offers travel bursaries to student members to aid in interstate travel where no other source of funding is available.
Join us at the ASMR’s 56th National Scientific Conference, “Science and Survival – equipping you with the tools to further your research career”, Charles Perkins Centre, November 14th to 15th, 2017
Join the NSC this year, survive, thrive and be inspired!
Dr Jordane Malaterre, Convenor NSC 2017
Dr Sarah Meachem, Program Convenor NSC 2017
Assoc. Prof Joanne Bowen – Assisting Professional Development Program NSC 2017